"Christmas Lights" Author Note




            Just a few last thoughts on this short story called “Christmas Lights.” As I said, I got the idea behind this after working on Paper Angels with Jimmy Wayne. But really, the idea came to me after hearing Coldplay’s beautiful song released at the end of 2010. I’m going to share the lyrics here and highlight the places that helped shape this story.
            If I had written this story back then, I think it would have been about a man getting away from his family and going to have a drink. You end up discovering the truth of why he’s so sad this Christmas day. The twist would be the same. But it wouldn’t have the whole alcoholic-about-to-relapse element.
            Stories—especially those you really want to tell—stay with you until you either officially abandon them on the side of the road or get them written. This year, the story began to change as I thought of adding an element of Celebrate Recovery to it. The stakes suddenly became higher for dear Arthur. I thought his visit to the pub could be quite dangerous for him and his family.
            One final note—this wasn’t edited or proofread except by yours truly. Maybe I’ll get those done and put this in an eBook for future Christmas holidays. I really wanted to tell this story and share it with my devoted readers. I’d do a lot more to say thanks if I could. For now, this will have to do.
            I love putting stories to songs. In a sense, I’ve been doing that my entire life.
            Here are those lyrics. Again, note the places I highlight.
           
            “Christmas Lights” by Coldplay

            Christmas night, another fight
            Tears we cried a flood
            Got all kinds of poison in
            Poison in my blood

            I took my feet
            To Oxford Street
            Trying to right a wrong
            Just walk away
            Those windows say
            But I can't believe she's gone

            When you're still waiting for the snow to fall
            Doesn't really feel like Christmas at all

            Up above candles on air flicker
            Oh they flicker and they float
            But I'm up here holding on
            To all those chandeliers of hope

            Like some drunken Elvis singing
            I go singing out of tune
            Saying how I always loved you darling
            And I always will

            Oh when you're still waiting for the snow to fall
            Doesn't really feel like Christmas at all

            Still waiting for the snow to fall
            It doesn't really feel like Christmas at all

            Those Christmas lights
            Light up the street
            Down where the sea and city meet
            May all your troubles soon be gone
            Oh Christmas lights keep shining on

            Those Christmas lights
            Light up the street
            Maybe they'll bring her back to me
            Then all my troubles will be gone
            Oh Christmas lights keep shining on

            Oh Christmas lights
            Light up the street
            Light up the fireworks in me
            May all your troubles soon be gone
            Those Christmas lights keep shining on

Labels: , , , ,