Bull Road

I thought of my earlier post below because I was working on notes for my novel, Bull Road. If you're wondering what in the world this book is, trying to keep track of all the different stories I have either in working form or that are scheduled to come out, you're not alone. Even my wife, Sharon, has a hard time keeping track of all my various books.

Bull Road was a novel I wrote and rewrote and rewrote ten years ago. It was my The Prince of Tides. As I discovered then, I am no Pat Conroy. The story had some promise buried deep inside of it. I worked with a great literary agent on it (initially refusing to heed her insight on the novel). I gave it to a publisher that I'm having a chance to work with again who still brings it up in conversation. My family down south, the same ones who live on Bull Road in South Carolina, have eagerly awaited this book to come out.

No, this book isn't coming out. I don't see it coming out for another ten years or more, to be honest.

That doesn't mean I don't think about it, nor does it mean that I don't work on it.

This month is all about rewriting. I've been very busy. I just sent my agent a novel to read and have a small window of time before I dive into more rewrites. So this morning, I was working on Bull Road, listening to the soundtrack for it that Thomas Newman created with The Horse Whisperer.

Even if you're not writing a book, you can be fleshing one out. Adding bits and pieces to its framework, adding chunks to its heart and soul.

I continue to tweak the outline for my story. I know the story. It's just a matter of finally writing it.

If you read my previous blog about my repackage for The Promise Remains, you'll know that I worked with a designer on that cover. She also did two versions of this just for fun. I love these covers and think they fit the story very well.

Part of being a writer, at least for me, is juggling a dozen projects. I still believe that I haven't written my defining work. If God grants me enough time, perhaps one day I'll write it. And not to put too much pressure on myself or on any story, but maybe Bull Road is that story.

Who knows.

I gotta get back to work.

Labels: