Writing Tip #9

Sometimes you have to go along for the ride with a character before getting their name right. Almost like riding in the car with them when they tell you their name is Susan. Then later they'll say it's Brenda. Then later Hailey. And so on. 

Character names are important. You want them to stand out but to not be overdone. You know what I mean--you've seen character names that draw attention to themselves in almost a laughable way. If you're going to have a character with an eccentric name, my suggestion is limit it to one person in your story. Unless it's a comedy or it fits for your particular novel, be careful with funny and crazy names. 

I'm working on a story where one character keeps getting his name changed. He's been Joe (too boring) and Brendan (too similar to his last name) and Brady (reminds me of Days of Our Lives character) and Josh (sounds to nice). I thought of a cool name beginning with "L", then realized I already have a Laila and a Lex. Too many "L" names could be confusing. So for now, this character is named Jason, but it's not working for me. 

100-plus pages in, and I'm still trying to get a name right. This happens. 

Sometimes there's no way to really describe why it works. But you'll know. Most of time I just know. It simply feels right. 

There are hundreds of websites that give names and their meanings. You can pick by nationality or by popularity or whatever. But give it thought. If a reader is going to be stuck with these characters for 400 pages, make sure they believe the name. Make sure it just fits. 

Labels: ,